Friday, February 1, 2008

Max Headroom "War"

Despite its over the top nature and its production date of 1987, the Max Headroom episode "War" managed to make an accurate commentary on the nature of news and how it is currently conveyed to the public. The following quote exemplifies this point.




Carter: "Since when has news been entertainment?"
Murray: ". . . since it was invented?"

The purpose of watching this episode in class served a dual purpose for me: it allowed me to draw parallels between the motives of the producers all while addressing the media's ability to desensitize the public with its proliferation. The entertainment value of the episode was there but watching it with a critical perspective allowed me to enjoy the underlying cynicism throughout. Overall I enjoyed this episode being played because I know I would never have come across this on my own.

1 comment:

Keith said...

Nice incorporation of imagery